If you want to make your own rabbit feed, note there are some plants that are toxic for rabbits and must be avoided at all cost. Here are the details of some of them.
One of the most common plant poisoning in rabbits is milkweed poisoning. Almost all cases of poisoning by this plant have been reported only in the southwestern United States. The poisoning occurs when rabbits have been given hay that was harvested containing the wooly pod milkweed. It only takes 1/4 of a percent of the rabbit’s body weight of green milkweed to kill a rabbit. Usually the toxin causes paralysis in the neck muscles and is sometimes referred to as “head down disease”. If the rabbit survives the poisoning, an owner will need to provide nursing care until the rabbit has fully recovered.
Fruits & Vegetables
Many common fruits are given regularly to rabbits as treats that they truly enjoy. However, the seeds of the apple and pear and the pits of apricots contain cyanide and are poisonous to rabbits and should always be removed before given to your pet for consumption. Other poisonous foods include the avocado, green parts and the eyes of potatoes and the eggplant and tomato plant (excluding the fruit), among others.
There are many popular flowers that gardeners commonly grow that can be potentially fatal to rabbits. These include the bulbs of daffodils, calla lily, daisy, California geranium and morning glory, among many others. Even small amounts of some flowers such as Elephant’s Ear, hemlock and yew can cause death in rabbits. Rabbits should be kept out of flower gardens to stay safe from these potentially deadly plants.
The juice inside the aloe vera plant can cause a range of problems for rabbits including stomach upset to even death. The severity of the reaction can depend upon how much was consumed, the size and age of your rabbit compared to how much was consumed and on the actual type of aloe vera plant that was eaten.
If you allow your rabbit to roam outdoors in the yard or in a rabbit run, you should familiarize yourself with other plants that can be potentially fatal to your rabbit. Outdoor areas should not only be free from toxic plants but also pesticides that are used to kill weeds. Rabbit owners should never feed their pets any type of fruit, vegetable, plant or any part of a plant unless they are certain it is safe. If you suspect any type of poisoning of your rabbit, seek veterinarian care immediately.
For a full list of toxic plants, please refer to “How To Start A Successful Rabbit Farm“.
A commercial rabbit farm normally uses a pelleted rabbit feed formulated for a specific purpose, in order to give a rabbit farming venture optimum performance.